Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey
With tranquil restoration:--feelings too

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"To be or not to be"

I am really interested in creating my own personal philosophy of teaching and how my classroom should be structured. From observing different teachers, there are three questions that come to mind. Firstly, the main question that I can’t help but want to ask the students is, “Do you enjoy English class?” I feel that my first objective as a teacher will be trying to get the students to enjoy English. I am excited about English, but most likely my students could care less. That leads into my next question, “Do you think English class is pointless?” I feel that to many students don’t understand the importance of English classes, or any class! This isn’t the students fault, but I feel it is the fault of the instructor. My next question is, “would you prefer portfolio work compared to testing?” I want my students to feel that English can be fun! I remember doing portfolio work in high school and in college. Maybe the students feel the same as I do and would prefer portfolio work? My next question has to do with school uniforms. THE SCHOOL THAT I AM OBSERVING IS SO CAOTIC! The one thing that came into my mind while observing a particular class as SCHOOL UNIFORMS! I really think that would make a difference.

First victim: Likes English, but the classes can be pointless. She didn’t use to like English, but the teacher that she has this year changed her mind. She feels that portfolio work is a good idea! She is also for school uniforms because it would diminish the stress of having to find something to wear every day.
Second victim: Likes English class and feels that he learns from it. He prefers testing to portfolio work. The questions on the test should ignite knowledge. He is for school uniforms.
Third victim: Likes English class. Does not think that it is pointless. Would totally prefer portfolio work because she likes to be creative. She is also for school uniforms.
Fourth Victim: Doesn’t like English class and thinks it is a waste of time. He doesn’t like to read. He likes sports. Would prefer to do portfolio work, because he hates testing. He is against school uniforms but is not really sure why.
Fifth Victim: Doesn’t like English class or school. English class is pointless and a waste of time. He already feels like he knows how to read and write. Nevertheless, he likes the idea of portfolio work. He likes the idea of school uniforms because he thinks that he looks good in a uniform and it would get him more dates.

Those are just examples of some of the students that I interviewed. I think that I will do portfolio work, but I will not make that my only way of assessment.
I really want to be a great teacher. In the words of Shakespeare’s Hamlet “ To be or not to be, that is the question.”

No comments: